- Yield:3 Servings
- Time:10 minutes
This is a wonderfully easy shake to make, with an interesting twist: the topping is on the bottom! The reason for this is that the topping I have created is heavier than the shake and just sinks in and gets lost, so I simply put the topping on the bottom. Guess what? It’s even better because you get some of the toppings in every sip if you use a spoon or a straw!
To get the Red Velvet flavoring, you can buy it in the baking section of an art supply store or online, as well as make it yourself. The secret to Red velvet is a sublime lemony flavor and a lot of red food coloring. You want to be very careful when you are making this shake or it will look like you had a run-in with Dexter! To create the red velvet flavor yourself, simply use some vanilla extract and a couple of drops of lemon—literally a couple of drops! You will use more lemon in the icing that we will make because you will want a flavor contrast. To make it simple, I use red velvet flavoring extract because it is already made, and that makes my life easy.
- 1 scoop of any type of EFX Sports protein in vanilla (I used Pure Whey)
- 1 teaspoon of red velvet flavoring (or 1 tsp vanilla extract, 4 drops of lemon extract, and some organic red food coloring)
- ½ tsp. xanthan gum or a few ice cubes (my teeth are sensitive to cold so I use xanthan gum to thicken it)
- 1 packet of stevia or erythritol sweetener
- 1 cup of water or unsweetened almond milk (I use water)
The ‘Topping’ (which is actually on the bottom):
- 2 tbsp. plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ tsp. lemon extract
- ½ scoop (1/4 serving) of Protein 6 or another vanilla EFX Sports protein
- 1 tbsp. organic dark chocolate chips (available at your health food store)
Prepare the ‘topping’: mix the ¼ serving of protein with the Greek Yogurt, lemon extract, and chips, and then put it in the cup you will be drinking from. Add the shake on top of this and Voila! Red velvet you don’t have to feel guilty about!
Protein: 43 g
Fat: 7 g
Carbs: 16 g
Fiber: 1 g
(Feel free to split this with someone)
Protein: 21.5 g
Fat: 3.5 g
Carbs: 8 g
Fiber: .5 g